Olympic Champion Cox - Men's 8

Olympic Champion Cox - Men's 8
OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS!!!!

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Bad Weather Doesn't Stop Us

Here in Victoria we train on Elk Lake.....it is a freshwater lake located minutes from the ocean on the main highway into the city.
I would guess that when most people think of Victoria they think of rain and also confuse Victoria with Vancouver. I want to remind everyone that we are located on Vancouver Island and that we do not get as much rain as Vancouver does....in fact....it doesn't rain here all the time....I have experienced very pleasant winters and have played golf in February numerous times.

The reason that I want to talk about weather is simple. This summer was great out here....but the past couple of days reminded me of the upcoming winter and the odd weather that can occur here on a regular basis. On Friday I had on sunglasses, then a rain coat, then just a sweater, then a rain coat, then sunglasses......then all three!! It rained, it was windy, then calm on the water, then sunny, then overcast....we had it all.

At the beginning of the day we have to always ask ourselves a few questions......Would the Germans train in this? Would the Americans train in this? Who wouldn't train in this? We certainly feel that we are the toughest rowers in the world and we get that attitude because we never let
anything stop us....not wind...not rain...not snow....not sleet.....the only things that stop us are fog and ice. Our coach always reminds us that everyone has a point at which they do not want to continue.....we always make sure that our point is without a doubt farther than any other person that we would be competing against. I'll be honest.....it would be very easy to not go out when it is pouring down with rain, but what would you accomplish for that row...nothing. Sometimes, just by going out you show your team-mates just how determined you are by heading into tough conditions. For me, it is all in my head.....it might suck....but it is my mind that thinks it sucks....I know from experience that I can gain while my German competitors are hopefully sitting in their boathouse in this kind of weather. I am not willing to take the chance that they might get a row in ahead of me, I'm just not willing to give that up to them.

Next time you are going to work in the rain or snow....think of us out on Elk Lake in Victoria rowing....and loving every minute of it!!

Above is a picture of contrast between a summer scene and an extreme winter scene on the launching dock at our boathouse here in Victoria...notice the snow on the dock

No comments: