Olympic Champion Cox - Men's 8

Olympic Champion Cox - Men's 8
OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS!!!!

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Ya Just Can't Give Up!!

Nothing is more frustrating to me than when someone packs it in and lets others take the load that they should be taking. We've all seen it happen and it seems as though the person who does it just doesn't understand the impression they have left of their personality.

This came up on Saturday while we were rowing 2 Eights in a side by side training battle. This guy had been reamed out by the coach the day before for not rowing in time with the crew and not responding to the coaching he was being given. He had his reasons for being "out of time" with his team-mates and it made sense to him....but not to anyone else! This then becomes a difficult situation that only the coach can really deal with, and deal with it he did. Went up one side and down the other! I was in earshot and was glad it wasn't me! wow



Pictured-Shawnigan Lake
It seems tranquil, but we have had some epic battles here!! We row Eights here in the winter twice a week.

Anyway....the next day we were just beginning our battle with the other Eight and he was fighting for the first 4-5 minutes but as the other Eight slowly crept away, he slowing became disinterested in pushing with the rest of the crew. When we got to the end of the run and had taken a severe beating, I realized that he wasn't really panting and didn't seem tired....I didn't say anything but filed it away in the back of my mind.
Last row of the week was next. Again as we started to battle with the other Eight I could see from his face that he was not trying at all. I know this guy is very facially expressive when he rows and there was no expression whatsoever on his face. I was pissed off, but decided not to say anything as the coach had been in a huge fight with him the day and this was obviously going to be a continuation of the same fight. At the end of the row on the dock I spoke with the coach and he was not impressed nor happy with what he had seen transpire. I told him what I saw and what I thought of that garbage, sulking behavior. This issue is not dead, but the coach guaranteed me that this issue will not just be brushed under the rug.

The thing I don't get is this. Does he not realize that his fellow athletes now see him as a guy who will give up!! Is this a guy who you want in the boat with you while you are putting every ounce of energy into driving your boat speed, you're vision is dimming, you're nearly blacking out you are rowing so hard and here is a guy who you aren't sure if he is giving it his all? Not an impression I would want to leave....often times your actions speak volumes about your character and personality.

No comments: